UN says warring parties in Yemen met to reopen Taiz roads
Yemen’s warring parties were meeting on Wednesday for talks on reopening roads in Taiz and other provinces as the United Nations works to extend a two-month ceasefire ahead of an impending deadline, it said. said the UN mission.
According to the UN, talks between representatives of Yemen’s internationally recognized government and the Iran-backed Houthi militia have started in the Jordanian capital of Amman.
No other details of the talks were immediately available. Talks on reopening roads in Taiz and other provinces come just a week before the truce expires. The Houthis agreed to meet and sent the names of their delegation to the UN envoy’s office last week.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or through the app.
The truce is the first nationwide ceasefire in the past six years of Yemen’s civil war, a conflict now in its eighth year.
The truce included the start of two commercial flights a week to and from the Yemeni capital of Sanaa to Jordan and Egypt, and allowing 18 ships carrying fuel into the port of Hodeidah. Sanaa and Hodeidah are controlled by the Houthis.
Hans Grundberg, the UN envoy to Yemen, confirmed that talks were underway to extend the truce. He made no predictions, saying only that an agreement on the extension of the truce would depend on his talks with the warring parties.
Yemen’s brutal civil war erupted in 2014, when the Houthis seized Sanaa and much of northern Yemen and forced the government into exile.
Egypt allows flights from Houthi-held capital of Yemen: government
Senior Houthi official says group not against extending truce in Yemen
Peace and Taiz take center stage as Saudi deputy defense minister meets with US special envoy to Yemen