Iran calls for UN action against US over murder of Qassem Soleimani | News
The request comes in the middle of a week of events planned by Iranian officials on the second anniversary of Soleimani’s murder on January 3.
Tehran, Iran – Iran has called on the United Nations to take formal action against the United States for the assassination of its chief general two years ago.
Iran said Qassem Soleimani, then commander of the elite Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), was in the Iraqi capital Baghdad on a diplomatic mission when his convoy was destroyed by missiles fired from an American drone.
In a letter to the United Nations General Assembly published on Saturday evening, the legal department of the Iranian presidential office called for “all legal initiatives in its power, including the issuance of a resolution” to condemn the US government and to discourage similar initiatives in the future.
The letter states that US governments have, for years, demonstrated “excessive unilateralism” in their actions which has given them the power to violate international laws and agreements.
The missive comes shortly before the second anniversary of Soleimani’s murder on January 3.
Former US President Donald Trump, who ordered the murder, said at the time that Soleimani was “the world’s greatest terrorist” and “should have been abolished long ago.”
Iraqi commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and several others were also killed in the attack.
The UN rapporteur for extrajudicial killings in July 2020 concluded in a report that Soleimani’s assassination was “illegal” and “arbitrary” and violated the UN charter.
Interpol notices requested
Last year Iran asked Interpol for “red notices” against dozens of US officials, including Trump who also had an arrest warrant issued by an Iraqi court.
Soleimani’s murder brought Iran and the United States to the brink of war.
The IRGC launched 12 missiles at two US bases in Iraq in the largest ballistic missile attack ever against the Americans. No casualties have been reported, but more than 100 U.S. servicemen have reportedly suffered traumatic brain injuries.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday, who had promised “severe revenge” for Soleimani, said in a speech that the perpetrators of his assassination would be thrown to the “dump of history” after ” they have paid their social contributions ”.
Iranian officials are planning multiple events to mark the second anniversary of Soleimani’s assassination and missile fire at US bases.
On Monday, an event is organized in the capital Tehran, attended by senior government and military officials.
President Ebrahim Raisi and other prominent figures are expected to address the televised event.
On Friday, an exhibition of Iranian missile capabilities will close a week of ceremonies.
In Iraq, thousands of people gathered on Sunday to mark Soleimani’s murder.